Wednesday, October 7, 2009

R.F.I.D. Hacking

R.F.I.D. or radio frequency identification is a system of emitters and receivers that are used for various purposes. R.F.I.D. is most commonly used to track objects and provide security for rooms or buildings. Nowadays R.F.I.D. is used most commonly to track packages; this system is far quicker and more efficient than barcode scanning. R.F.I.D. chips are tiny electronic circuits that act as the emitter in the R.F.I.D. process. When electromagnetic energy is applied to the circuit, through an R.F.I.D. reader or an receiver like the ones mounted to walls on campus to gain access to buildings, the circuit broadcasts a radio signal that carries a set piece of information. This information could range from something as simple as the code to open doors on campus or to ride the bus to credit card numbers and information, sometimes even the name, owner, and residence of a pet with an implanted R.F.I.D. chip.

R.F.I.D. hacking is the malicious act of taking advantage of R.F.I.D.'s shortcomings in security. The only real security that R.F.I.D. provides is proximity. To actually copy and steal information form and R.F.I.D. device you need to be within arm's length of the device. This can easily be handled by using a disguise made custom for concealing the act. First off you need the equipment to perform the espionage. You're going to need a laptop, software, and some form of emitter and receiver combination, my suggestion, an antenna that can receive and broadcast. The antenna is used to emit the small electromagnetic field, easily accomplished by wrapping wire around the antenna from base to tip, or having an antenna that is just a coiled circle of wire. You'll need to modify the antenna to plug into the laptop and receive power, easiest way being USB. Once you have the physical tools you'll need to get the software. Have no fear it's free, isn't shareware awesome? To complete the cycle find an R.F.I.D. device to test your setup on, your Champlain I.D. for example. If the setup is correct and the antenna and software work in tandem you should be able to activate the card and copy the signal. Once you have the signal go try in out on your dorm's receivers. Emitting the copied signal from the antenna should unlock your door! Now to use this for truly malicious intent you can't wave an antenna around some one's I.D. or credit card and not look suspicious. The easiest way to conceal your laptop is to tell your computer not to sleep when the screen is closed, this way you can keep it in a laptop bag. So many people have laptops these days you won't stick out at all. Next you can run the USB cord from the pc to the antenna out of the bag and up a long sleeve shirt or sweater. The cord can run from one arm to the other and connect to the antenna concealed in your hand. This setup works far better with a long sleeve shirt that is tucked into your pants; this way you can have more slack on the cord allowing more freedom of movement while also keeping the slack from falling out of your shirt. Now you're ready to commit fraud like a champion! It's as easy as placing the antenna concealed in your hand within a couple inches of the R.F.I.D. device. If at first you don't succeed, try to get even closer without being suspicious.

R.F.I.D.'s security, or lack thereof, has been argued over plenty of times. The fact that your credit card may have its number stored on an R.F.I.D. chip seems like a horribly shortsighted idea. Rest assured, not all credit cards are R.F.I.D. devices, but some are, so beware! Mythbusters was even going to do a special on R.F.I.D. hacking until the legal counsels of major credit card providers told the Discovery Channel to back down. They don't want the truth about how fragile R.F.I.D. security is to get out. Here's the interview concerning the episode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-St_ltH90Oc&feature=player_embedded

So the lesson here is to keep your R.F.I.D. devices close to your person, and safely within eyesight. And if you have an R.F.I.D. credit card, get a new card that does not have R.F.I.D. in it, save yourself the stolen identity troubles.

Works cited

"Radio-frequency identification -." Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Web. 07 Oct. 2009. .

Patel, Nilay. "RFID credit cards easily hacked with $8 reader." Engadget. 19 Mar. 2008. Web. 07 Oct. 2009. .

"YouTube - Hope2601 Pt 10, Adam Savage and "The RFID Censorship Question" www.HOPE.net." YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. 24 July 2008. Web. 07 Oct. 2009. .

No comments:

Post a Comment