Sunday, November 29, 2009

Darwinian Revelation

Within the past years, I have had a disclosure of great significance to both myself personally, and my perception of the world. This “revelation” of mine had been percolating through the depths of my beliefs for ten years of my life. That is exactly how long I had been involved in mandatory Catholic religious studies. Throughout learning the perceived profundity of my religion, I kept finding myself disagreeing completely with what was being preached. As time continued on, I grew further and further apart from the church. After I had finally finished religious education during my sophomore year of High School, I consistently felt empty.

I soon realized that I had been neglecting to embrace the studies of one of the most pivotal individuals science had ever witnessed. The name of this individual was Charles Darwin. His similar experiences pertaining to his reluctance to thrust forth his findings into the crux of 20th century beliefs directly related to how I felt about my own convoluted beliefs.

As a student, Charles Darwin had little guidance as to what career path was destined for him. He eventually attended Cambridge, with the intent of studying for the ministry. He soon found that his interests laid more within the Entomology category, rather than Theology. (1-3, Appleman)

Darwin then was given the chance of a lifetime: Be part of a 5 year journey aboard the ship Beagle, exploring various naturalist venues around the world. This trip established in Darwin an outstanding ability to observe and document, which he was known greatly for. (3-4, Appleman) Darwin’s education and his expedition aboard the Beagle can be viewed symbolically as my own personal religious education journey: We both found ourselves within environments we couldn’t possibly be satisfied with, until we realized that there was something entirely else more enthralling.

But what exactly was the root of my issues with the Church? I consistently pondered this question over and over, as my family became dismayed with my lack of “confidence” in religion. The only comprehensible point I could fault for my lack of faith was the stubbornness which inevitably lingers within religion’s core. A fantastic example of this I found was within the article “How the Teach Science to the Pope.” This article explores in depth the various issues and consequences surrounding science and religion. While I read, I found an interesting passage. This passage illustrated how the Catholic Church administers science to its liking through the use of a league of scientists known as the Pontifical Academy of Sciences.

“…the purpose of your academy is precisely to discern and to make known, in the present state of science and within its proper limits, what can be regarded as an acquired truth or at least as enjoying such a degree of probability that it would be imprudent and unreasonable to reject it.” In the pope’s eyes, the academy is an instrument that teases scientific fact from fiction.” (Mason)

I immediately recognized with this statement, and had to laugh at the notion that the religion’s own scientific wing could only do what the Church deemed was important. Therefore, The Pontifical Academy of Sciences, in itself, was completely pointless, and failed to strengthen any possible new scientific findings the Church deems “unnatural.”

Another example of the perceived stubbornness of religion in general comes from the short story “Exhibit Piece” by the author Philip K. Dick. This story illustrates the day of 20th century historian George Miller in a future setting. Miller is responsible for creating and caretaking an exact replica of a 20th century scene. Miller soon becomes trapped within this exhibit piece, and refuses to be coaxed out of his dream world. (155, Dick) This relates to the stubbornness of religion through representation. The 20th century exhibit piece is an embodiment of religion in general. Miller symbolizes individuals within religions who continually refuse to change their ways out of pure tenacity. The story clearly illustrates (through representation) how future ideals often become drowned out through stubbornness and what some call “faith.”

Darwin has undoubtedly influenced my personal beliefs pertaining to religion. It’s unfortunate that science and religion has become such a convoluted and hot button issue in our society, and I wish I had learned more about Darwin earlier in my academic teachings, but that’s a whole other debate…I must also declare that these are my own opinions and experiences which the work of Darwin has aided in surfacing. Furthermore, let it be known that I’m not here to jab or point fingers at the integrity of religion, I only speak what I feel. I have no intentions of “representing” the views of every agnostic, atheist, ect. populating the universe.

Youtube Video:



This video demonstrates the issue of Stem Cell research, which is just one of the many issues which surround religion and science. The video also shows how The Pontifical Academy of Sciences is governed completely by the church, and is therefore restricted to researching only what's considered ethical by the church.

Works Cited

Appleman, Philip. “Darwin: On Changing the Mind” in Darwin. 3rd ed. Philip Appleman, ed. New York: W.W. Norton, 2001

Mason, Michael. "How to Teach Science to the Pope | Human Evolution | DISCOVER Magazine." Discover Magazine. 18 Aug. 2008. Web. 26 Nov. 2009. .

Dick, Philip K. The Philip Reader, New York: Citadel Press. 1987.

Rome Reports. "Stem Cell Research Against Human Dignity." 1 April 2009. Video Clip. YouTube. 26 Nov. 2009



No comments:

Post a Comment